Services for the Uninsured or Under-Insured

Caring for a child with special health care needs or can sometimes be financially overwhelming. Funding for evaluations, treatments, and/or equipment for individuals that are uninsured and/or undocumented is challenging. If your health insurance coverage does not cover what is needed, or your family has no insurance at all, the resources listed below may help with the health care costs.
Involving a care coordinator, social worker or family advocate to assess options and guide families in applying for appropriate programs, appealing denials, research charitable foundations and potential fund raising ideas is useful. For example many hospitals have charity care that you can apply for to help cover needed medical services. Contact a social worker in the hospital to assist with the application process.
Specific requests can be made for donated services (e.g., home oxygen) through some of the home care/health care organizations based upon need. Formula and food supplement donations are at times obtained by calling the company representatives for donations. Medicaid may be available for undocumented individuals for medical emergencies.
There are some options when an individual has inadequate or no health insurance coverage as follows:

Health Insurance Marketplace

Also known as the health insurance exchange, the Health Insurance Marketplace helps uninsured people find health coverage that meets their needs and budget and is part of the Affordable Care Act: Health Insurance Marketplace (


A federal program, administered by individual states, that covers the cost of some medical care. To qualify for Medicaid benefits, income and assets must be below a certain level. There are a few different categories under which a person may qualify: Medicaid.

Medicaid Waiver

Programs are for individuals with disabilities and/or special health care needs who would otherwise be ineligible to receive Medicaid benefits because of income and assets. In addition to medical coverage, waiver programs may cover a number of other services and supports not traditionally covered by Medicaid. For more information about Home and Community Bases Services waivers: Home & Community-Based Services (Medicaid).


A government program available to individuals over the age of 65 or with specific disabilities, such as chronic renal disease. An individual can receive Medicare benefits if they have worked enough to be covered by Social Security Disability Insurance, or if they have a parent who is already receiving Social Security.

Social Security Administration Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Non-Medical Benefits

SSI benefits are available to children with disabilities, under the age of 18, whose disability is expected to last more than 12 months or result in death, and whose parents' income and resources are limited. When a child reaches 18, he or she then needs to qualify based on his or her own income and assets and must meet the required guidelines.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

SSDI benefits are payable to children, under the age of 18, if they have a parent who qualifies for or is collecting Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability Insurance. If a parent has died, children under the age of 18 may collect dependent SSDI benefits on the parent's record if qualified. These payments are available to all children, regardless of whether the child has a disability. SSDI benefits from a parent's Social Security can continue to be paid into adulthood, if the child has a disability that began prior to the age of 22.

Community Health Centers

Community clinics who provide quality healthcare services including medical, dental, and behavioral health, particularly for low-to-moderate income, uninsured or underinsured individuals who might otherwise not have access to healthcare. To locate a community clinic, check Community Clinics (see NV providers [107]).


There are a number of free clinics that provide free medical services for uninsured and low income families and individuals.


Information & Support

For Parents and Patients

IDEA Infant and Toddler Coordinators Association - State Contacts
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Infant and Toddler Coordinators Association - find an Early Intervention provider in any state.

Services for Patients & Families in Nevada (NV)

For services not listed above, browse our Services categories or search our database.

* number of provider listings may vary by how states categorize services, whether providers are listed by organization or individual, how services are organized in the state, and other factors; Nationwide (NW) providers are generally limited to web-based services, provider locator services, and organizations that serve children from across the nation.

Authors & Reviewers

Initial publication: September 2016; last update/revision: December 2017
Current Authors and Reviewers:
Author: Gina Pola-Money